By Rathindra Kuruwita and Sirimantha Rathnasekara
The Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB) said yesterday it would conduct an internal inquiry into the countrywide power failures on Saturday. Noel Priyantha, the CEB Media Spokesman said the power failure had been caused by a breakdown in the transmission line.
The power outage commenced around 5 pm on Saturday due to a transmission system failure in the Kotmale-Biyagama transmission line, and power supply was restored to most areas by 10 pm, he said.
Similar countrywide power outages were reported in 2016, 2020 and 2021.
Preliminary investigations had revealed that lightning strikes on the Kotmale to Biyagama transmission line caused the breakdown, he said, adding that investigations were in progress and he did not suspect sabotage. However, the CEB was waiting for final reports of the investigations, he said.
Speaking on the matter in Parliament yesterday, State Minister of Power and Energy Indika Anuruddha said two separate inquiries would be carried out by the Ministry of Power and Energy and the CEB into the countrywide power breakdown.
Meanwhile, water supply in several areas was affected by the power outages. The National Water Supply and Drainage Board said it had managed to restore the water supply in the affected localities within a few hours.